Friday, June 10, 2005

International Trade Conference

Yesterday and today, I attended the US-Philippine International Trade Conference at the Madison Renaissance Hotel in Seattle. It was organized by the Filipino Chamber of Commerce of the Pacific Northwest. Last Tuesday, I sent an email to Mr. Bert Golla, the president, to ask for a student discount and, surprisingly, he gave it to me.

It was a very productive day and a half. In fact, I already got my money's worth even before lunch on the first day. I met a woman who represents a Philippine-based company that already does what I want to do, so I could use them as a subcontractor.

It really was a networking event. Philippine business people looking for US partners and vice versa. I met a few key people, including the Philippine trade commissioner for the western US states and employees of the city of Seattle. In fact, one of the city employees and his twin brother were the ones who pointed out this building to me as they walked with me to my parking.


The new Seattle Public Library on Madison and 5th.

It's a public library! I must say, it's not the type of architecture you'd expect a public library to have. I guess I imagine public libraries to have those old classic architecture, made of brick with columns and lots of detail. Hmm, very interesting though.

No comments: